Friday, July 10, 2009

Asteroids or Mini-map?

Mini-maps suck! If you are a game designer and you bust out the mini-map for your game, you better have a really good reason for it. I would wager 90% of the time the reason is:

"This level is too big."

...! Seriously? Have you heard the Seinfeld bit about the bike helmet? He said man invented an activity that could crack the skull. So instead of discontinuing the activity, he invented the bike helmet.

Mini-maps are an invention by game designers so gamers don't get frustrated (and crack their skulls).

If the designer thinks the player needs a mini-map, they are probably right. In these scenarios I find myself spending more time focused on the mini-map instead of enjoying the actual game. This sucks! I might as well be playing Asteroids looking at that little thing.

When I think back on the best gaming experiences of my life, nothing was ever too big to where I needed a constant visual aid to orient myself. The key as with anything is balance. If the level is too big, or there aren't enough landmarks, you would be better served by editing your level design instead of throwing in the mini-map.

I'll give these guys a tiny bit of credit though. At least they recognize their level design is too big for a normal person to enjoy. What about the people that don't!? Banjo-Tooie, I'm looking at you.

Don't use mini-maps, make better level designs.

Here are the questions:
-Do mini-maps annoy you?
-What is the best and worst use of a mini-map you've seen in a game?
Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

  1. I honestly think a lot of designers realize on "closed level" enviorments that a mini map often is not neccicary...nor is it included.

    where mini maps shine and I think are a positive Design choice is In open scale games.
    Such as sandbox (gta open world style games)
    and MMOs where not having a good map system is ussualy considered a poor design choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One game that comes to mind that ran in a different direction is Dead Space. There was a map involved, but you had to bring up your HUD and go through all of this hullabaloo to get there.

    I never used that map because it was a hassle. With a click of one of the thumbsticks (I really don't remember), Isaac's hand would reach out, and a beam of light would go down and into the direction of his next objective.

    There were no limit's to how often this ability could be used, although sometimes in the zero-gravity areas the beam would get a little wonky, but it was a nice little feature. In all, it just made the game flow more, and it made sense, because your character was actually familiar with the ship he was on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Matt: I feel like mini-maps are used in a lot of games for not really good reasons, like the level is too bland or repetitive or big for the player to make their way around on their own. Final Fantasy XII, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Last Remnant, Twilight Princess... I'm not even talking about dungeon scenarios either, just for walking around.

    I do have 10% in there for exactly the scenarios you mentioned though: GTA-style games (this is actually part of why I don't like those games), MMOs, and then the best use of a mini-map I've seen is in LoZ: Phantom Hourglass since it's actually used as an extra tool for Link.

    @colonelhabablap: That sounds pretty cool. I would prefer something like that over a mini-map too. Is that similar to Wander using his sword to find the next Colossus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One extra 10% scenario for me is in RTS games. Definitely a useful and necessary tool in that context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The use of a minimap is one of the biggest detractors to immersion I can think of.
    When there is a minimap, I catch myself using it and ONLY it to navigate. Like in GTA... I don't drive based on what is around me and explore as much as I stare at the minimap so I don't miss my next objective.

    Dead Space sounds similar to Shadow of the Colossus. Some sort of hot-cold mechanism for locating an objective is cool and a lot more immersive than a constantly available minimap. Heck, even Fable 2 had the 'breadcrumb' idea that while not perfect, was at least better than staring at the (crappy) map the had included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mark Yeah you summed up my thoughts exactly, and more eloquently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I could survive Zelda without that little minimap. On the other hand, there definetely needs to be some innovation in the field of in-game navigation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should say I'm not opposed to having "maps," especially in a pull up menu where you can see everything. I think it's really just the ever-present mini-map in the corner of the screen. I'd rather have a different form of in-game navigation that is more immersive IF the world is too big or confusing to be explored/learned on its own.

    ReplyDelete