Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Backsteppin'


Now that we have dug in a little bit I'd like to explore the nature of what we are doing here. Let's ask the most obvious question: What is game design?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design

"Game design is the process of designing the content and rules of a game."

Not too bad, but not quite there. Let's let Wikipedia take a mulligan: "Video game design requires the co-ordination of game mechanics, visual arts, programming, production process, audio and narrative."

(These are some hefty tasks, and each one could be broken down into many more elements. The point to make here is that game design is almost always a team/collaborative effort. The notion of a single person called "game designer" is largely unfounded.)

Ok that's a little closer. Still not quite a definition. Each of these game design areas have their own design practices surrounding them. They are all accomplished within the context of designing a game, and I believe that makes everybody involved from top-to-bottom a game designer.

"Video game design is the process of designing and coordinating game mechanics, visual arts, programming, the production process, audio and narrative."

A little lengthy but I like it! This definition is a work in progress and I would love your feedback. It gives us a good footing to discuss what great game design is, as well as all the elements that make it up.

Here's the questions:
-Do you agree or disagree with the definition of game design stated here? How would you modify it?
-Do you find yourself favoring particular components of game design over others? What aspect attracts you the most as a gamer and why?
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. VIDEO Game design is a hobby I feel like I have stepped away from recently, but I still work on tabletop RPG's quite often. When I design a campaign, adventure, whatever, my two primary foci are narrative and mechanics. If it isn't something you feel like you can invest your character into because it isn't interesting to have someone live in that world, I feel like I have failed. Additionally, if there isn't interesting ways for your character to interact in this world, I've also failed. Because there is very little visual associated with it and because I am a HORRIBLE artist, I tend to shy away from those portions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good point, and a very interesting perspective. I'd be curious to learn more about what you think video game design shares with other forms of game design, and also what it doesn't share.

    Maybe the obvious deduction is that more emphasis should be placed in one area over another depending on the designers' goals.

    ReplyDelete